Wednesday, December 14, 2011

doom


























So during the same conversation that I mentioned in the last post, I began wondering how I would redesign one of the greatest villains over at Marvel.
(we were talking about comic villains if you haven't noticed)

Doom as a character is singlehandedly one of my favourite villains, because at his core he is so not a villain.
Like magneto, he is a man doing what he thinks is what is for the greater good for himself and his country, his methods can just be villainous and often times ruthless.
At his heart, he is a man that can ally with you, as long as your needs are aligned.

Doom has some of the single most iconic design elements of all comic characters, so I really wanted to keep it.
I just hate the medieval armour look to him, cause it's extremely campy and dated.
I wanted to keep the sort of medieval vibe, but make him far less clunky and more regal.

2 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

You're preaching to the choir as Doom has always been my favorite too.

The long unbroken trail of his tunic adds to the notion that he is tall and imposing. The metal gloves slightly sharp at the tip like a deadly talon emerging from the soft flesh of a hawk's foot.

The streamlining of the costume also draws more attention too his metal portions, which based on that energy hes weilding, is something you want to be watching out for!

Unknown said...

great lines and tone.
was the "hoove" look on the foot intentional or a happy accident?